Young Reds dominant in a 4-0 drubbing

The Adelaide United Youth team displayed a lot of class against the FFA Centre of Excellence in a 4-0 win on Sunday morning.

During the first half Adelaide United had chance after chance as they looked to take the lead.

Within the first fifteen minutes a mix up of play saw Bruce Kamau unwind from just outside the box. The winger curled the ball around the keeper towards the far post, just flying over the bar.

Shortly after United came even closer as Dylan Smith rattled the cross bar before being cleared by the defence.

“I think we created a lot of good chances especially in the first half. I think we had five good chances and there could’ve been a very high score today,” said Adelaide United Youth Team Coach Michael Valkanis.

And after Coach Michael Valkanis ordered Bruce Kamau and Antoni Trimboli to switch wings, Kamau was allowed more space to run and the deadlock was then broken.

“Brucey (Kamau) is a little bit more natural on the right hand side, and we wanted a switch of ground,” said Valkanis.

“We thought we weren’t getting much out wide, and Bruce was cutting in a lot (on the left) and we wanted him to beat his player out wide and get some cutbacks in.”

And the switch payed dividends late in the half after Kamau beat his opponent down the right.

Approaching the goal line he was able to cut it back to Trimboli in the six yard box, who slotted it past FFA keeper Dure Dragicevic.

In the second half the game to unravel even further as the Young Reds kept pressing.

Again the Reds again missed a few golden opportunities until a long searching ball by defender Ben Warland was placed in the path of Dylan Smith.

The forward neatly controlled the ball before dribbling into the box and pushing it across the keeper, just underneath his glove.

From here the flood gates were opened as 2-0 was not enough for the Young Reds, and within the space of three minutes 2-0 became 4-0.

Trimboli again tried his luck from outside the box whipping the ball towards the near post past Dragicevic to make it 3-0.

Before another mix up in defence gave Smith the opportunity to drive a half volley into the bottom right corner giving the keeper no chance.

And in the 86th minute Oliver Safridis was denied the glory of scoring a free kick by Dragicevic.

From 25 yards out the ball was struck with venom but just a bit too close to the keeper, who was able to rattle it onto the cross bar.

“I always say we look at the way we play and that we’re playing the style, and that was evident,” said Valkanis.

“It was attacking football, (and) a lot of chances were created.

“They’re (FFA Centre of Excellence) younger, but at the same time we pride our defensive work as well and that’s another clean sheet.