Talevski helps Jets to win over AIS

Newcastle Jets have had to work hard to carve out a hard-fought 1-0 win over the AIS in their National Youth League fixture at Ausgrid Stadium on Friday evening.

Newcastle Jets have had to work hard to carve out a hard-fought 1-0 win over the AIS in their National Youth League fixture at Ausgrid Stadium on Friday evening.

The Jets dominated proceedings from midway through the first half but the visitors showed plenty of guts and determination to deny Newcastle until a David Talevski goal in the 82nd minute gave the home side all three points.

The win sees the Jets move up to within one point of the top four in sixth place on 17 points while the AIS remain in eighth spot on 13 points.

The match started in perfect conditions as the curtain raiser to the Jets v Phoenix A-League clash and it was a tight tussle from the opening whistle before the home side started to get on top.

The first real chance fell for the Jets in the 22nd minute when midfielder Andrew Hoole ran through a gaping space in the centre of the park before unleashing a shot from the edge of the penalty area that rattled the near post.

The Jets seemed to kick up a gear and took control on the match on the half-hour mark but despite creating a number of chances they couldn-t convert their pressure into points.

Striker Marko Jesic hit the side netting with a lovely left-foot shot after being put through by Dino Fajkovic in the 34th minute.

A few moments later Jets midfielder Scott Petit fired narrowly over the bar before just failing to get on the end of a penetrating cross from James Virgili with the goal at his mercy.

Petiti again shot wide after being set up by Jesic on the edge of the area in the 40th minute before Fajkovic spooned his shot over the bar after some enterprising play from the home side created a good opportunity for the striker just 16 yards out from goal and the sides went to the break locked at 0-0.

The Jets picked up where they left off in the first half. Virgili hit the bar with a crossed shot from the right wing before AIS goalkeeper Jordan Thurtell produced two good saves to deny Newcastle in the 55th minute.

The first came after Jets defensive midfielder Abe Wheelhouse pushed forward into the box on a good run but saw his shot parried away by Thurtell before the AIS custodian did well to deny Fajkovic-s follow-up shot.

The visitors managed to get forward a few more times in the second half but could only create half-chances while the Jets continued to press forward in search of an opener.

They Jets put the ball in the back of the net in the 75th minute after David Talevski broke into space on the left wing and squared a delightful cross for Kale Bradbery to poke home at the back post, but the linesman-s flag was up for offside and the score remained 0-0.

Newcastle eventually broke the deadlock with eight minutes remaining. A smart weaving run from Virgili took the ball inside the box and he showed good vision to put the ball on a plate for Talevski who steamed onto the pass and neatly chipped Thurtell in goal.

Virgili should have doubled the Jets lead just a few moments later when he again used his pace and skill to get inside the AIS box but his shot from an acute angle sprayed wide. Thurtell then denied Bradbery from close range as the Jets poured forward.

The AIS went close to snatching a late equaliser in injury time but Jack Green saw his header from a swinging free-kick sail inches wide as the Jets hung on for an important win.

Newcastle Jets 1 AIS 0 At Ausgrid Stadium.