Roar Youth share points with Sky Blues

Queensland Roar and Sydney have shared a point in the National Youth League with a hard-fought 1-1 draw at Ballymore Stadium in Brisbane.

Queensland Roar and Sydney have shared a point in the National Youth League with a hard-fought 1-1 draw at Ballymore Stadium in Brisbane.

The first-versus-second clash was a tight affair but Queensland will feel disappointed not to come away with more after dominating against a Sydney team who had Luke Austin sent off midway through the second half.

Both teams looked to build their attack around a strong target man - Tim Smits for the Roar and Chris Payne for Sydney - but struggled to create clear-cut chances in a dour first half.

The best action of the half came just two minutes in when Sydney's Adam Biddle dribbled down the right flank and crossed to Payne who sent his header against the upright.

Queensland then recovered to settle into the match and began to take control, forcing the first real save of the match on 25 minutes.

North Queensland-bound midfielder Chris Grossman cut into the penalty area and set up Isaka Cernak but Sydney 'keeper Vedran Janjetovic saved the first-time shot with his legs.

The Roar's best chance of the half fell to defender Will Tumusiime after Sydney struggled to deal with a Tommy Oar corner.

Ben Griffin's header across goal was swatted to Tumusiime's feet by Janjetovic but the centre-back lashed the shot over the bar.

The Queenslanders continued to push after the restart, with Smits again the centre of attack.

The striker laid the ball to Grossman inside the area but the midfielder's shot went straight to Janjetovic.

Oar then tried his hand with a great run and shot from the edge of the area on 52 minutes, only to be denied by a teriffic save.

There was little the Sydney 'keeper could about the Roar's opener just six minutes later.

Grossman's cross found Smits at the back post and the striker unselfishly passed to Cernak to tap into an open net.

However, a rare foray forward from Sydney brought a swift reply for the Sky Blues.

Robbie Mileski surged into the box and rounded an underworked Matt Acton in goals to score his third goal of the season.

Any momentum the visitors had was killed just a minute later when Austin picked up a second yellow card for a late challenge on Oar.

Smits should have restored the lead 11 minutes from time when he broke free of the offside trap and latched on a superb through pass from Adam Sarota but his curling shot was tipped past the post by Janjetovic.

It would prove the last real chance of the match as the Sydneysiders held firm to secure a point.

The result means Adelaide can overtake Queensland if they win their two games in hand.

Match Details

Queensland Roar 1 (Isaka Cernak 58') Sydney FC 1 (Robbie Mileski 64')

Queensland Roar: 1. Matt ACTON (gk), 2. Brad McDONALD, 3. Isaka CERNAK, 4. David DODD, 8. Michael RYAN (12. Michael ANGUS 62'), 10. Adam SAROTA, 11. Tommy OAR, 13. Chris GROSSMAN (5. Jordan FARINA 62'), 14. Ben GRIFFIN (4. Matt MUNDY 62'), 15. Will TUMUSIIME, 16. Tim SMITS.

Yellow cards: David Dodd 26', Tim Smits 85'. Red cards: nil.

Sydney FC: 20. Vedran JANJETOVIC (gk), 2. Luke AUSTIN, 3. Adam BIDDLE (Adam CASEY 46'), 5. Mitchell PRENTICE, 6. Chris PAYNE, 7. Robie MILESKI, 8. Anthony GOLEC, 11. Bobby PETTA (18. Matthew JURMAN 60'), 12. Ibrahim HAYDAR, 13. Sam MUNRO, 14. Beau BUSCH (15. Matthew HALL 60').

Yellow cards: Mitchell Prentice 17', Luke Austin 23', 65', Sam Munro 67'. Red cards: Luke Austin 65'. Referee: Jared Gillet. Crowd: 166 at Ballymore Stadium.